Opportunity for Senior Safety Coordinator
Bockstael Construction Limited is one of Manitoba’s leading General Contractors, Construction Managers and Design Builders specializing in Institutional, Commercial and Industrial projects. Committed to employee development and promotion, Bockstael has been building its success on the strength of its people for over 106 years.
This position is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the companies’ health and safety programs. Provide safety-related direction and support to the field forces. Ensures our safety and emergency plans comply with government regulations. Report back to the Health & Safety Manager regarding site conditions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement all aspects of the Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Ensures employee and sub-contractors safety programs are followed and appropriately carried out.
- Assist Health & Safety Manager with COR™ audits of company operations ensuring compliance with both government and company regulations and policies.
- Assess effectiveness of existing programs and participate in the improvement of new programs and approaches to ensure compliance with legislation and company health and safety policies.
- Monitor Health & Safety performance.
- Promote continuous improvement through development, implementation and administration of company Health & Safety policies, programs, practices and procedures.
- Assist operations with safe job plans, job safety analysis, hazard assessments, etc.
- Conduct incident investigations to ensure that root causes are identified, and corrective actions are implemented.
- Participate in orientation of new employees in Health and Safety program.
- Ensure tool box and safety meetings are held on a regular basis, training and evaluating the process.
- In depth hazard assessments and inspection of work activities.
- Maintain knowledge of current HSE strategies, trends, technologies and of applicable provincial legislation.
- Develop and direct all activities related to Health & Safety by implementing systems consistent with the companies’ policies, particularly those standards which control operational risk.
- Determine best industry practice to improve upon H&S management systems in order to meet highest standards.
- Be a clear, professional, and visible Safety Coordinator and drive Bockstael’s H&S culture to the highest standard.
- Inventory of safety supplies.
- Maintain a daily journal log.
- FTQ 360 site inspections or similar.
- Maintain documentation for multiple sites.
Required skills include, but are not limited to:
- Intermediate computer skills required, MS Office.
- Good organizational skills, ability to adapt to multiple demands, take initiative, set priorities and achieve results.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and active skills.
- Self-starter with minimal supervision, take instructions then own the project.
- Highly developed time management skills, punctual.
- Ability to develop relationships, while enforcing safety programs and regulations with fairness and integrity.
- Excellent judgement and a concern for the well-being of others.
Preference will be given to the candidates with the following qualifications:
- Post secondary education, preferably in a health and safety discipline.
- 3+ years’ experience in the construction industry; or 3-5+ years’ experience in other industry.
- Experience with the COR™ program and COR™ audit procedures.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed résumé indicating salary expectations to email@example.com by January 22, 2019.
We thank all individuals who apply; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.