Opportunity for Health & Safety Coordinator
Bockstael Construction Limited is one of Manitoba’s leading Construction Manager, Design Builder, and General Contractor firms specializing in Social Infrastructure, Commercial, Multi-Family Residential, and Industrial projects. We are fueled by an unwavering commitment to continuously improve and provide an exceptional client experience. Bockstael has been building its success on the strength of its people for over 109 years by focusing on employee development and internal promotion.
This position is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the companies’ health and safety programs. Provide safety-related direction and support to the field workforce. Ensures our safety and emergency plans comply with government regulations. Be a clear, professional, and visible Senior Safety Coordinator and push Bockstael’s Health & Safety culture to the highest standard.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement all aspects of the Health and Safety policies and procedures;
- Ensures employee and sub-contractors safety programs are followed and appropriately carried out;
- Assist Health & Safety Manager with COR™ audits of company operations ensuring compliance with both government and company regulations and policies;
- Assess effectiveness of existing programs and participate in the improvement of new programs and approaches to ensure compliance with legislation and company health and safety policies;
- Monitor Health & Safety performance;
- Promote continuous improvement through development, implementation and administration of company Health & Safety policies, programs, practices and procedures;
- Assist operations with safe job plans, job safety analysis, hazard assessments, etc.
- Conduct incident investigations to ensure that root causes are identified, and corrective actions are implemented;
- Participate in orientation of new employees in Health and Safety program;
- Ensure toolbox and safety meetings are held on a regular basis;
- In depth hazard assessments and inspection of work activities;
- Maintain knowledge of current HSE strategies, trends, technologies and of applicable provincial legislation;
- Develop and direct all activities related to Health & Safety by implementing systems consistent with the companies’ policies, particularly those standards which control operational risk;
- Determine best industry practice to improve upon H&S management systems in order to meet highest standards;
- Be a clear, professional, and visible Safety Coordinator and drive Bockstael’s H&S culture to the highest standard;
- Inventory of safety supplies;
- Maintain a daily journal log;
- Procore site inspections or similar;
- Maintain applicable H&S related documentation for multiple sites.
Competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Intermediate computer skills required, MS Office (excel, word, outlook);
- Strong organizational skills, ability to adapt to multiple demands, take initiative, set priorities and achieve results;
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal);
- Self-starter requiring minimal supervision;
- Highly developed time management skills, and punctual on commitments;
- Ability to develop relationships, while enforcing safety programs and regulations with fairness and integrity;
- Excellent judgement and concern for the well-being of others;
- Ability to handle confrontation positively and maintain professionalism when addressing and enforcing safety concerns;
- Approachable and displays a positive can-do attitude;
- Ability to travel to sites outside the city, for short periods of time is required.
Preference will be given to the candidates with the following qualifications:
- Post-Secondary diploma or certificate focusing on Health & Safety;
- 2+ years’ experience in the construction industry; or 3+ years’ experience in other industry;
- NCSO or NHSA designation, or working towards obtaining;
- Experience with the COR program and COR audit procedures;
- Demonstrate sound judgement and maintain confidentially in maintaining critical and sensitive information.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed résumé indicating salary expectations to email@example.com by July 23, 2021.
We thank all individuals who apply; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.