Opportunity for Project Accountant
Bockstael Construction Limited is one of Manitoba’s leading General Contractors, Construction Managers and Design Builders specializing in Institutional, Commercial and Industrial projects. Committed to employee development and promotion, Bockstael has been building its success on the strength of its people for over 100 years.
This position is a valuable member of our accounting team, responsible for providing accounting support to the Accounting department. Maintain accurate and up-to-date accounts receivable sub-ledgers and monthly account reconciliations utilizing industry specific computer software.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and review monthly progress billings; assist PMs with billing and billing application;
- Contract reconciliation; compare our contact with the certificate of payment or change order issued by the consultant. Reconciliation of the contract total with the consultant’s and payments;
- Tracking COs – in our own billing application and payment to the subs/suppliers. Notify PMs for any inconsistency;
- Subcontract reconciliation & HB release; Review the AR statement provided by sub-contractors and compare it to overall costs in Jonas to deal with the discrepancies, change order difference, overbilling, etc.;
- Costs reallocation via general entries; paid invoices are coded to one cost code but need to re-allocate to a different cost codes;
- Establish and review subcontractors’ billing breakdown to match our record, prepare the costs summary (reconcile job costs) with billing requirements for the project as CM agent;
- Be consulted regarding Jonas and Digio regarding job costing function; provide information to help PM’s report such as EVM;
- Add cost code, correct HB percentage of contract and sub-contract, change cost code name, adjust balance;
- Analyze suppliers’ invoices and adjust them if necessary, according to PMs;
- Tracking payment certificate (AR) and notify PMs missing certificate with deadline approach;
- Job close out procedure. Review overall final contact and subcontracts.
- Assist Project Managers in completing a monthly analysis of major contracts, including an in-depth analysis of all variances from the original estimate. When required by the Project Manager, this individual will monitor the monthly remedial action plan with respect to the costing of direct job costs including field labor, materials, and subcontracts;
- Aid executive team on special assignments including detailed analysis and assessment of information for the purposes of implementing a strategic plan;
- Assist in the development of our current Administrative Information System and Job Costing
System, including to modules not currently being utilized;
- Assist the Director of Accounting in the research of better information systems to assist staff in
their current functions;
- Assist in collection of outstanding customer invoices to ensure a current Aged Trial Balance is
- Assist in the preparation of year-end audit files;
- Complete the preparation of the monthly financial report;
- Oversee accounting departments daily operations and assist others in department as needed.
Required skills and competencies include but are not limited to:
- Skilled in organizing work, setting priorities, working independently and efficiently manages
- Highly organized, efficient and attentive to details with excellent follow-up skills;
- Ability to effectively perform a variety of duties with frequent interruptions and under changing
- Ability to prioritize and adjust heavy workload, manage a variety of tasks and meet various
deadlines with changing priorities, frequent interruptions and conflicting deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact diplomatically and effectively deal with diverse
- Professional demeanor and courteous/helpful manner.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Enrollment in the CPA accounting designation, or recent graduate with 2 to 3 years’ experience in
a mid to senior financial role;
- Strong computer proficiency with advanced skills in MSOffice and accounting software;
- In-depth understanding of all areas of finance, including job costing, GL integration, payables,
payroll, AR, and how the finance department impacts the organization;
- In-depth understanding of excel;
- Construction background is considered an asset;
- Experienced in processing accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger entries and
reconciliations, via accounting system;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed résumé, indicating salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2021.